Last fall, Congress passed, and the President signed into law, the VOW to Hire Heroes Act of 2011 in order to help veterans find jobs. The VOW to Hire Heroes Act of 2011 is now being implemented, and with that, unemployed veterans ages 35–60 can apply for retraining under the Montgomery GI Bill for in-demand jobs.
- Are at least 35 but no more than 60 years old;
- Are unemployed (The Department of Labor defines “unemployed” as “People who are jobless, looking for jobs, and available for work.” All three criteria must be met to be considered unemployed);
- Received an other than dishonorable discharge;
- Are not be eligible for any other VA education benefit program (e.g.: the Post-9/11 GI Bill, Montgomery GI Bill, Vocational Rehabilitation and Employment Assistance);
- Are not in receipt of VA compensation due to unemployability; and
- Are not enrolled in a federal or state job training program