AMVETS Scholarships FAQ
What scholarships are available?
There are seven different scholarships awarded annually. A son, daughter or grandchild of a deceased veteran is also eligible.
- Three specific to Veterans, Active Duty, Guard/Reserves: https://app.wizehive.com/apps/amvetsscholarships1
- Two specific to children/grandchildren of Veterans, Active Duty, Guard/Reserves: https://app.wizehive.com/apps/amvetsscholarships2
- One specific to Veterans, Active Duty, Guard/Reserves & family members offered in partnership with the University of Phoenix (AMVETS/University of Phoenix – URL TBD)
When are applications accepted?
- January through April – Six scholarships
- June through August – One scholarship: AMVETS University of Phoenix
What are the eligibility requirements?
- Must be a United States Citizen
- Must provide evidence of active duty status or veteran status having served honorably
- Must have a high school diploma or GED
- Must demonstrate financial need
- Must be enrolled or accepted for enrollment to an eligible program
- Must not be in default on a federal student loan
- Must not be convicted under state or federal law for sale of or possession of illegal drugs
- Must agree to authorize AMVETS to publicize your scholarship award, if you are selected
What is the basis of selection?
- All scholarships are awarded on the basis of financial need, academic promise, and merit. The scholarships are intended to provide financial assistance for veterans, service members, and families that have exhausted government aid, or who might not otherwise have the financial means to further their education.
- Must submit a complete, signed application, together with all supporting documents, by the deadline listed
- Scholarship selection shall me made without regard to race, color, national origin, sex, or disability
- The award determination will be made on the selection committee’s scores of the overall quality of the application and the scholarship essay.
- The decision of the Scholarship Committee is final and not subject to a review process
What type of educational programs may the scholarships be used for?
- Part time or full time undergraduate courses
- Graduate courses
- Accredited degree or certificate programs
- Online educational programs
What do I need to do in order to qualify for renewal of the annual awards?
- The schools prescribed academic standards must be maintained
- Evidence of continued enrollment must be provided
- All scholarships must be used in their entirety within five years of the award date
- Any amount remaining unused within five years will be forfeited
How will my personal information be used?
In the spirit of The Privacy Act of 1974, 5 U.S.C. & 552A, as amended, protecting your privacy is important to us. AMVETS will use the personal information you provide for the sole purpose of evaluating your scholarship application. It will not be shared, sold or otherwise made available to any individual, corporation or organization. Disclosure is voluntary. However, failure to provide information could preclude your consideration for this scholarship.
What are the values of Scholarships being offered?
- Veterans, Active Duty, Guard/Reserves
- $4,000 – ($1,000 awarded annually over four years) 13 awarded each year
- $1,000 – 1 awarded each year
Apply by clicking here: https://app.wizehive.com/apps/amvetsscholarships1
- Children, grandchildren of veteran or active duty service member/Guard or Reserve
- $4,000 – ($1,000 awarded annually over four years) 6 awarded each year
- $1,000 – 1 awarded each year
Apply by clicking here: https://app.wizehive.com/apps/amvetsscholarships2
- Veterans, Active Duty, Guard/Reserves, and family members
- AMVETS University of Phoenix Scholarship – Details coming soon
Would you like to improve your SAT/ACT scores but have not done so because of the cost associated with the options for these types of preparatory programs? Check this out!
$250 SAT and ACT College Test Prep Programs Discounted 90% for Veterans and Their Families. Request a program for your children or grandchildren for under $20.00. Order online: www.eKnowledge.com/AMVETS or call eKnowledge 951–256-4076 (reference AMVETS). PowerPrep Programs are available online or DVD, students select the training they need and study at their own pace.
- Call 877.726.8387 and ask for the Programs Department ext. 4031
AMVETS is extremely honored and very grateful for the partnerships that make it possible to award over $400,000 annually to our nation’s heroes and family members. Special recognition to the following:
- The University of Phoenix
- The Ralph S. French Charitable Foundation
- The Henry G. Huestis Memorial Scholarship
Biographical sketch of Henry G. Huestis
Henry Huestis was born in Bethpage, N.Y. and attended Bethpage High School. He was always interested in electronics, and shortly after high school he was drafted into the Air Force where he worked in communications during the Vietnam War. After his time in Vietnam at Da Nang Air Base, Henry, like many veterans of his generation, had issues readjusting back to civilian life. Henry received an honorable discharge, moved to Spokane, Wash., and attended Washington State University. He was very passionate about education and always sought to better himself. Throughout his life, Henry was active with Veterans Affairs hospitals, as he thought our veterans should be treated better and have more opportunities to succeed. Henry is buried at Calverton Veteran Cemetery in Long Island, N.Y. In the spirit of helping veterans, the Huestis Family feels honored and blessed to establish the Henry G. Huestis, Memorial Scholarship to hopefully allow a veteran to become a prosperous and successful member of society through educational opportunities. Henry would be proud to have a scholarship established in his name, and would have been thrilled to offer hope to a veteran and give this individual an opportunity to realize his or her educational goals.