AMVETS in Action

Filing a VA Claim?

Filing a VA ClaimIf you’re thinking of filing a claim with the Department of Veterans Affairs for disability compensation, here are three simple steps to follow that will facilitate the process. Think of them as the Three Cs — consult, collect and contact.

Step 1: Consult With Your National Service Officer.
Talk with your National Service Officer about the condition for which you are considering filing a claim. If, as a result of your discussion with the NSO, the claim appears warranted, go to:

Step 2: Collect Documentation.
Gather the following documents to support your claim:

  • Service medical records
  • Private physician’s records
  • Applicable photographs
  • DD Form 214
  • Marriage certificate
  • Birth certificates of children
  • Copies of dependents’ Social Security cards

After assembling these records and forms, take . . .

Step 3: Contact Your NSO, Again.
Discuss with the service officer your findings and what more, if anything, needs to be done to document your claim.

Planning on transitioning from military life to the civilian world?
AMVETS is here to help. We provide a number of resources and informational materials to point transitioning service members in the right direction. Transition Assistance

How can I find my local Service Officer?
By downloading the latest contact list, by visiting the Service Officer Contact List page.

Having trouble finding your Service Officer?
Please contact Antonio B. Roberts at (301) 459-6181 Ext: 4071

Share:Share on FacebookShare on TumblrTweet about this on TwitterPin on PinterestShare on Google+Share on LinkedIn