top of page

Help Filing VA Claims

AMVETS National Service Department


The mission of the Service Department is to provide services to our veterans and their families. We do this using a cadre of AMVETS Service Officers, State Department of Veteran Affairs employees, and County Veteran Service Officers.

All claims are handled remotely. Please refer to NSO contact list for assistance. 

If you’re thinking of filing a claim with the Department of Veterans Affairs for disability compensation, here are three simple steps to follow that will facilitate the process. Think of them as the Three Cs — consult, collect and contact.

Step 1: Consult With Your National Service Officer

Talk with your National Service Officer about the condition for which you are considering filing a claim. If, as a result of your discussion with the NSO, the claim appears warranted, go to:

Step 2: Collect Documentation.

Gather the following documents to support your claim:

  • Service medical records

  • Private physician’s records

  • Applicable photographs

  • DD Form 214

  • Marriage certificate

  • Birth certificates of children

  • Copies of dependents’ Social Security cards


After assembling these records and forms, take...

Step 3: Contact Your NSO, Again.

Discuss with the service officer your findings and what more, if anything, needs to be done to document your claim.

Frequently Asked Questions


Planning on transitioning from military life to the civilian world?

AMVETS is here to help. We provide a number of resources and informational materials to point transitioning service members in the right direction. Transition Assistance


Having trouble finding your Service Officer?

Contact details for all NSO's are listed below. 

Please contact: 

  • Dana 'Bo' Bolton - National Service Director


  • Lionel Jones - National Service Officer


  • Kevin Jones - National Service Officer (Appeals)


Important Note: You do not need to be a member of AMVETS to receive free assistance from our service officers. But please know we are able to provide this valuable service because of our members and generous donors. Please consider paying it forward for the next generation of veterans.

bottom of page